Tree Timmer, Parks Department
LocationProvidence , Rhode Island
P-1-22, Tree Trimmer, Parks Department
Job Type: Union
Job No.: P-118-21
Department: Parks Department
Posting Dates: 01/04/2022 – 01/25/2022
New employees will be compensated at a wage rate of fifteen percent (15%) below the contractual rate of pay for the period of July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2022. Wages for new employees will be increased in five percent (5%) increments annually on the anniversary of the date of hire. On June 30, 2022, new employees shall receive the full contractual rate. This rate does not apply to IT Department positions.
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus prior to February 28, 2022. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required prior to beginning employment with the City.
Under the general supervision of up-line personnel performs skilled work in the maintenance, management, and care of public trees and shrubs; and related work as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs sound arboricultural techniques incidental to the trimming, pruning, planting, bracing, repairing, spraying, and removal of public trees and shrubs in accordance with ANSI A300 and Z133 standards.
- Operates a specified type or variety of equipment including aerial lift type truck, wood chipper, stump grinder, gas-powered chain saw, and other accessories used in the urban forestry trade.
- Maintains equipment by sharpening, cleaning, oiling, and performing any other repairs that may be needed to keep the equipment operating in a safe and satisfactory manner.
- May perform tree-climbing operation with safety rope at considerable heights under sometimes dangerous conditions.
- Maintains written and digital records of assignments, hours of operation, materials and supplies used, and any other pertinent information relative to equipment operation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- High degree of skill in tree operations using specified forestry equipment, plus a general knowledge and skill in the upkeep, maintenance, and basic repair of such equipment.
- Must possess and maintain a Rhode Island Arborist License.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State Driver’s License, a valid State Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with the general public.
- Required to perform physical work requiring bending, walking, sitting and lifting less than 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job
Sexual Harassment, Sensitivity and Diversity Training.
Customer Service Training.
Must maintain a valid State Driver’s License.
Must maintain a valid State Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
The term “limited” means that the successful candidate will perform the job for an undetermined length of time. The position may or may not become permanent.