NYC Parks - Climber and Pruner
LocationBronx, NY , Other
The New York City Parks Department is seeking a Climber and Pruner
- Under supervision, perform all types of work required for the planting, maintenance, and removal of trees and large shrubs.
- Climb, prune, brace, cut and fell trees and large shrubs.
- Operate bucket truck, including aerial lift and cherry picker, as well as chipper and other similar equipment.
- Identify hazard defects of trees and ensure public safety.
- Spray trees and large shrubs and perform tree inspections.
- Identify trees by species and inspect for the Asian Longhorned Beetle and other pests and diseases.
- Prepare and use composting sites.
Job ID: 374638
# of Positions: 5
Business Title: Climber & Pruner
Title Classification: Competitive
Job Category: Building Operations & Maintenance
Proposed Salary Range: $ 62,308.00 - $ 62,308.00 (Annual)
Career Level: Experienced (non-manager)
Work Location: 1 Bx Rvr Pkwy & Garage
Division/Work Unit: BX FORESTRY
Minimum Qual Requirements:
Six months of satisfactory, full-time experience as a climber and pruner or arborist performing all types of tree work required for the planting, maintenance, and removal of trees and large shrubs including climbing, pruning, bracing, cutting and felling trees and large shrubs and operating manual, power driven and motorized equipment required for the performance of these duties. Experience as a ground person is not acceptable towards meeting this requirement.
Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment, eligibles must possess a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York, and a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York within one year of being appointed to this position. Serious moving violations, license suspension or accident record may disqualify you. This Class B Commercial Driver License must be maintained for the duration of your employment. Such license must not include any restrictions which would preclude the performance of Climber and Pruner work.
Special Working Conditions: When responding to emergency conditions, Climber and Pruners may be required to work shifts including nights, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Some of the physical activities performed by Climber and Pruners and environmental conditions experienced are: climbing in and out of an aerial lift device (bucket truck); climbing up in a tree using rope and harness or bucket; operating a chainsaw; operating heavy motorized equipment such as bucket truck, chipper, loader, and stump grinder; lifting and moving heavy objects; standing for extended periods of time; and working outdoors in a restricted space in an urban environment in all kinds of weather, including severe weather conditions.
NOTE: References will be required upon request. MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
1) From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 374638. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2) From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link:
https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 374638.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 374638 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 374638.
Work Location: TBD
Residency Requirement: This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
POSTING DATE: 11/16/2018
POST UNTIL: Until Filled