Environmental Protection Forester 2 (State Urban Forestry Coordinator)
LocationHartford, CT , Connecticut
The State of Connecticut's Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Forestry Division encourages the long term practice of responsible and sustainable forest management.
We accomplish this by:
- Protecting Connecticut's forest resources from the effects of fire, insects, disease, and misuse.
- Providing accurate and timely information about Connecticut's forest resources.
- Certifying forest practitioners.
- Managing the State Forests, in which exist many large blocks of unfragmented forest land.
- Engaging municipalities and citizens in the work of urban forestry.
- Providing guidance to private forestland owners.
The Forestry Division is seeking to hire an EP Forester 2 within our Private and Municipal Lands Program. In this role, you will lead the Forestry Division's Urban Forestry effort by providing technical assistance to cities and towns.
This position is 35 hours per week. Monday through Friday.
Eligibility Requirement - SPECIAL Notice: Incumbents in this class will be required to possess and retain certification as a Forester in accordance with Section 23-65h of the Connecticut General Statutes unless already certified by another reciprocating state. Applicants not currently certified as a Forester must take the certification exam on March 10, 2021. Exam pre-registration is required by April 1, 2021.
Note – Reciprocity: Forester certification or licensure from another state under a law which provides substantially similar qualifications for certification and which grants similar privileges of certification without examination to residents of Connecticut certified under the provisions of Connecticut General Statute 23-65h.
- This position works statewide independently administering and coordinating the Division of Forestry’s Urban Forestry program.
- Provides technical assistance to municipalities through their Tree Wardens, tree workers, tree boards, citizens, civic groups and non-profits.
- Develops annual grant narratives and reports all program accomplishment in compliance with USDA Forest Service requirements.
- Administers Tree City USA and Tree Campus USA and actively assists towns and cities helping them to understand and achieve the qualifying standards for those programs.
- Administers the American the Beautiful grant program, as funding is available, which provides support to efforts such as planning and inventory, coordination of volunteer efforts, tree planting programs, and the protection and enhancement of community tree resources.
- Acts as the Department liaison to the Urban Forestry Council assisting them in program development, coordination and implementation.
- Represents the Department on committees and task forces involving urban trees.
- Creates educational tools and publications, conducts trainings and tours related to urban forestry.
- Provides guidance on urban forestry policy issues at the state level.
- Builds new and retains existing relationships and partnerships including but not limited to state and federal agencies, tree wardens, municipal officials, community leaders and commissions, non-profit and civic groups, volunteer agencies and groups, citizens, utility companies and tree services in order to coordinate efforts and build synergy in the development and execution of urban forestry.
- May provide communities guidance in the utilization of urban wood.
- May lead and assist in fire prevention and control activities including the training and direction of fire wardens and crews
- May be required to assist other states or federal agencies on emergency assignments.
- Performs related duties as required.
Applicants must have and maintain the agility, endurance and physical ability to perform the required work. A physical examination may be required prior to and/or during employment in this class. Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some risk of injury or personal harm from on-site field conditions and a moderate degree of discomfort from year round weather conditions. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Read the full posting and apply online.