Community Garden Ambassador Intern
LocationCambridge , Massachusetts
Community Garden Ambassador Intern, City of Cambridge Department of Public Works
Reports to the Supervising Landscape Architect in the Engineering Division with day-to-day coordination with the Senior Engineer managing community gardens. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain Access database of active and waitlist gardeners; including but not limited to entering garden application data and assigning plots.
- Work with community gardeners and garden coordinators to facilitate and improve the community garden program.
- Assist in outreach efforts to community gardeners, garden coordinators, and potential gardeners.
- Develop outreach material and support outreach sessions for potential gardeners.
- Visit each of the City’s 14 community gardens bi-weekly (during the growing season) to talk with gardeners and identify any issues with the gardens. Document the findings from each site visit.
- Coordinate with DPW and other City Departments.
- Site visits, weekend and evening work as needed.
- At times when community garden work is less active, this position will support the work of the Conservation Commission.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated computer literacy and experience working with Microsoft applications including Access, Excel, and Word.
- Interest in community outreach and community gardens required.
- Background in urban gardening and horticulture desirable.
- The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to read a map
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Walk and/or bike up to several miles a day. Employee will be exposed to all weather conditions. Required to travel around the City of Cambridge.
HOURS OF WORK: 19.5 hours/week; 6 months with the opportunity to renew, weekend and evening hours required.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: [email protected] or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. The review of resumes is ongoing. We are an AA/EEO Employer.