The process to become ISA Certified takes proper planning, consideration, and attention to detail. Questions regarding certification may be addressed to ISA at 217-355-9411 or [email protected]. The steps to becoming certified are below:
Choose the credential you wish to pursue. There are currently seven different credentials or specialized disciplines that you can choose. Each credential has a unique set of standards, qualifications, exam, handbook, and study guides. You can learn more about the varying credentials on the ISA site, Which Credential is Right for You.
Review the requirements for this credential to ensure you meet the requirements.
Apply to take ISA certification test. Timeline for approval is 5 - 10 business days. THIS IS FREE. Get your application approved for free at any time. Only pay when you register for an exam.
- Create an account online on the ISA website
- Complete the application for certification that you would like to pursue via the ISA website
- Proof of employment or education plus job/task experience is needed. You can find more details here, Application Handbook
- ISA will confirm receipt of your application and whether the application was approved.
Enroll in a written or computer-based exam (Your application must be approved first and payment is required at this step)
- Log in to your ISA account to enroll in the exam of choice
- Your enrollment and the paid exam fee must be received at least 12 business days prior to exam date, no exceptions. Walk-ins are not permitted.
- View the ISA Exam FAQ here.
Preparing for the Exam
Each certification has an official handbook outlining requirements for the exam, topics covered, and rules pertaining to the certification. Reading the handbook is essential to performing well on the exam. The handbooks are linked under their certification here. To help you prepare for the exam, the ISA website offers study guides and reference books.
New england Chapter Resources
New England ISA hosts a prep course. If we are offering a course currently, more information can be found here.